It was my birthday on Monday so the perfect excuse to come up with something special with flavours I love, chocolate and ginger. I wanted a light cake that would go really well with a cream filling and topping.
- Inch of fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 250g self-raising flour
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 170g unsalted butter or Stork
- 170g soft light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tbs golden syrup
- 160g dark chocolate
- 250g buttermilk
for the filling/topping
- 250g whipping cream
- 1 inch of fresh ginger peeled and sliced
- Start with the filling. bring the cream and ginger to almost boiling in a pan. Put in a bowl, cover and place in fridge for at least two hours, or overnight. Before using, strain the cream and whip into peaks.
- preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4
- grease and line two 7 inch cake tins
- put the fresh ginger and caster sugar together in a bowl and set aside.
- melt 60g of the chocolate either in the microwave or in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water. Leave to cool
- chop the remainder of the chocolate into small pieces
- In another bowl cream the butter and brown sugar together until fluffy.
- beat in the eggs one at a time
- beat in the golden syrup
- beat in the melted chocolate and the sugared ginger
- add the ground ginger and cinnamon to the flour
- add one third of the flour and spice mixture to the cake batter and fold in
- add one third of the butter milk to the cake batter and fold in
- continue to add the further two thirds of flour and buttermilk alternately until it is all folded into the cake batter.
- fold in the chopped up chocolate
- divide the mixture between the two tins
- bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.7
- allow to cool, first in tins, then on a rack
- Once cakes are completely cool cover on cake generously with the whipped ginger cream
- place the other cake on top and cover the top with the remainder of the cream
The combination of ginger and chocolate with the ginger cream really is delicious. I enjoyed my birthday cake 🙂