I love this cake, it’s lovely lemon freshness with the sticky tangy icing, and the sweet syrup running through. It really is a treat.
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter (or Stork)
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- finely grated zest of one lemon
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- Itbsp lemon juice
- 50g (2oz) icing sugar
- little water
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4
- lightly butter and flour a 2lb loaf pan
- cream the butter and sugar together until they are fluffy
- whisk in the eggs a little at a time
- fold in flour
- fold in milk, lemon zest and half the lemon juice
- put in pan and bake for one hour or until a skewer comes out clean
- Just before cake comes out of the oven, heat the remaining lemon juice and golden syrup.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer and drizzle the lemon syrup all over it. Leave it to cool in the pan.
- Make a thin icing with the lemon juice water and icing sugar and drizzle over the cake when it is cool.
Now because this cake is in the oven for a long time it’s easy to burn it (like I did today!) so keep an eye on it and if it looks like it’s getting too brown before it’s cooked you can cover the top with a piece of foil, Mine might have turned out a little too brown but it was still yummy.